The Fall
I entered the room and sat on the hospital bed. But the reason for the entry was too painful for a 10-year old kid. I heard the assistant doctor telling my mom to speak so patiently and referring it as,'probably the last conversation'. He had little concern for emotions and was pretty straight forward.
"Dad", I called in a faint voice.
"My son", he smiled. But his eyes were wet with tears. "I don't know what to tell you. I just wanted to live with your brother and you. I just wanted to see growing up. But...", tears descended quickly than earlier.
"Don't cry dad.", I tried my best to hold my tears.
"Don't be a coward, like me. Be strong, son. You should be courageous and should make your mother feel proud of yourself.", saying this he closed his eyes and never opened it again.
This thought which succeeded the consistent blankness was lucid as well as striking. His heart ached. He couldn't even fulfill his father's only advice before his early demise. Not to be a coward and to face his problems with courage. And now he dragged himself down the cliff as his financial graph crashed recklessly. He succumbed to his failure and chose to embrace death.
At this final moment, gravity is his only companion, accelerating him to his death wish.
"Hey, sleepyhead. Show some charm.", my brother laughed after hitting me hard on the back.
"This is why I hate you.", little me complained, "You've no regard and always hurt me. I'll tell mom."
He spilled some soup on my head and laughed out loud, "Tell this too. I've no regard."
No regards! It was meaningless to pin him with such a label.
"Please leave me", the school bully was gasping for his breath. His throat was gripped tight under my brother's strong arms. He was suffocating and running out of words.
"Please...leave...me...", he pleaded. He was so helpless and almost lost his self-consciousness.
"Never mess up with my brother ever again. I'll be lethal.", he warned after liberating the bully.
"Clean this up, scumbags.", he ordered the bully's best friends who were beaten up initially. They nodded in fear. I was so overwhelmed that even the wounds, that the fistfight left weren't hurting anymore.
He had the best of regards. He was truly a guardian angel.
We were sitting on the roof of the building, gazing the stars laid out in the night sky. She rested her head on my shoulder.
"It's a sublime view.", I said.
"I think they are trying to tell us something.", she grinned.
"What did you hear ?", I asked.
"That one over there asks me whether you would leave me for any reason ?", she said pointing a bright star.
I smiled and said, "Tell him that I'll never leave you. Coz, I love you."
She held her hands on mine and said, "Look into my eyes and say that again."
"I love you.", his eyes were damp. Whenever his mind was empty and created a cold void, she was the one who managed to fill it with cheerful and inspiring thoughts. Within the short span of one year, she turned herself to be an inevitable part of his life. "I love you", he chanted.
"What happened, son? You look so gloomy and tired.", mom asked.
"Nothing mom. I'm alright.", I lied.
"No. Don't lie to me. I know that something's wrong. Tell me.", she smiled.
"Oh, the results of the test were published. And... I lost.", saying this I wept like a kid. She hugged me and patted on my head.
"Don't weep my boy. You're good enough to catch it the next time.", she said.
I lied on her lap and continued to cry. I couldn't bear the pain of constant defeat.
"Mom, I feel like all my dreams and all my hope are collapsing into nothing. I'm lost. I can't do this anymore.", I grieved.
"What? So, you've lost your hope.?"
"I've decided to give up."
"I've seen that you've lost a couple of times. I was never disappointed. Since you tried to fuel yourself with the failure. Empowering yourself to conquer your destination. And the only thing I expect from you isn't this test or your job. But your ultimate happiness.", she smiled.
I felt too secure being with her. I decided not to give up and to attain what I yearn for. She continued,
"When life drives you to nowhere and you are stuck in a desolated land, clueless to take a decision, it is hope that leads you. So hold it tight."
He lost it for one goddamn second and everything turned upside down. He's too late. He counted every reason to die, but not even one to live which were plenty. The tough rocks below the cliff welcomed him with a rigid hug. His body was scattered and blood was splattered all over.
ahhh kailu .. this is amazing
ReplyDeleteKuzhappam illa kurach kudi lalitham aakkam KAILU 'The Knock'
DeleteKollamayirunnu.... Njan Anonymous alla ninakk ariyavunna aal thanna
KAILU....��������
Poli ser..........
ReplyDeleteHey kailas. .. . This is awesome
ReplyDeleteNice
ReplyDeleteKailu ningal superaa
ReplyDeleteJust wooowww..mahn.
ReplyDelete